This Week at SPX Edge!
This week at Edge, we played a ruleless game of Bunny, Bunny Cave, Revolution to contrast that having rules leads to joy, freedom, and safety instead of chaos, confusion, and frustration when there are no rules. The teaching examined the three aspects of the moral law — natural law, the Old Law, and the New Law — and how all three work together to guide and lead us to true freedom and charity. In small group, we created skits based on one of the Ten Commandments.
- God, in His goodness, has given us the moral law so that we may be truly free and live a life of love that ultimately leads to heaven.
- The Old Law, although imperfect, builds upon the natural law and prepares us for the Law of the Gospel.
- The Law of the Gospel, or the New Law, is a law of love, of grace, and of freedom, which is meant to dwell deep within each of us so that we may always act in sincere Christian charity.
“The natural law, present in the heart of each man and established by reason, is universal in its precepts and its authority extends to all men. It expresses the dignity of the person and determines the basis for his fundamental rights and duties: For there is a true law: right reason. It is in conformity with nature, is diffused among all men, and is immutable and eternal; its orders summon to duty; its prohibitions turn away from offense . . . . To replace it with a contrary law is a sacrilege; failure to apply even one of its provisions is forbidden; no one can abrogate it entirely.” (CCC 1956)
“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.” (John 13:34)
Family Reflection Questions:
- Why does God give us laws?
- Why is it important for us to follow those laws?
- Are there certain laws that are a part of our human nature? What is one example of this?
- What was different about the New Law of Jesus?
- How does Jesus help us to follow the laws given to us by God?
Fall 2017 Edge Nights
|Month||Week of||Edge Night||Theme|
|25||Fortitude in the Storm||Noah|
|October||2||Build Up or Break Down||Virtue & Sin|
|16||Our Hope and Our Promise||Abraham|
|23||A Most Beloved Son||Joseph|
|30||Power Up||Grace, Justification & the Church|
|13||An Unlikely Leader||Moses|
|20||My Neighbor||Social Justice|
|27||The Buddy System||Ruth|
|December||4||Go Forth||Community Service|
|11||Who’s Your King?||David|
|18||A Faithful Queen||Esther|